1. Intro to CHROME
CHROME generates $1,000 more per hour compared to freehand surgery
The business/financial decision on whether to conduct freehand or guided surgery is often focused solely on the material cost of the surgery. This is not a comprehensive overview of the true cost, as it does not take into account the high-cost variable of time!
The table below provides a model to better understand the complete costs associated with a full-arch surgery – time and materials. This model only considers the doctor's hourly rate (established at $400 per hour) and not the cost of staff and operatory use.
The freehand costs and times were averaged from the feedback gathered from 18 full arch specialists.
|APPOINTMENT ANALYSIS||Hourly Rate (per hr)||Time Taken (per hr)||Total||Time Taken (per hr)||Total|
|First Consult (CBCT, X-ray, Photos)||$400||1||$400||2||$800|
|ROE Treatment Plan||$400||1||$800||0.5||$200|
|Present Treatment Plan to Patient||$400||0.5||$200||0.5||$200|
|Temp Adjusted (Soft Tissue)||$400||0.5||$200||0.25||$100|
|Transition steps to final prosthesis||$400||6.5||$1,800||2||$800|
|Total Cost||13.0 hrs||$5,200||8.25 hrs||$3,300|
A guided surgical approach should 1) reduce the overall number of appointments from 7 to 5, and 2) the overall appointment hours by up to 66%+. The biggest differences between freehand vs guided times are in relation to:
- Premade Temp Prosthesis – CHROME's surgical accuracy means the team can convert the prosthesis with far less work.
- Transition steps to final prosthesis – CHROME offers a simplified approach to ordering the final.
Taking a guided surgical approach diminishes the majority of the time and clinical implications of unforeseen surgical complications while delivering a superior restorative outcome.
|Fit Verification Jig||X|
|iJIG or Rapid||X|
|MATERIAL/SURGERY ANALYSIS||Cost per item||Amount||Total||Amount||Total|
|ROE Lab Tech Cost||$1,000||0|
|Immediate Conversion Denture & Abutment Guide||$495||0|
|Final Zirconia Prosthesis||$3,800||0|
|CHROME Complete Package||N/A||$6,100|
CHROME is slightly more expensive than doing the surgery freehand. This slight increase in cost helps guarantee a predictable, efficient surgery. The CHROME Complete package contains all of the surgical guides plus the immediate load prosthesis, a RAPID applicant, and the final prosthesis on healing has been completed.
|COST COMPARISON ANALYSIS||Hours||Cost||Hours||Cost|
|Total Appointment and Material/Equipment Cost||13.0||$12,055||8.25||$10,960|
Net Hourly Income
- Typically patients are charged $2-3K more for guided full arch surgery. This was purposefully NOT taken into account in this model in order to make the results more comparable.
- Overall the complete doctor journey is 40% quicker with CHROME GuidedSMILE vs freehand surgery.
- CHROME GuidedSMILE surgery allows doctors to make more than an additional $1,000 per hour vs freehand surgery.